Basecamp Maasai Mara; A Gold Rated Eco Camp situated in an oxbow of the Talek River the tents overlook the Maasai Mara Game Reserve. Each spacious tent stands alone on a platform, with every deck facing the river and having a unique view. Seclusion is provided by the natural surrounding flora. Each tent has a large double or twin beds with an adjoining bathroom and open air hot water shower. In keeping with our eco profile the toilets are dry/bio toilets. Our family unit consists of 2 tents with shared bathroom and deck. All lighting and water heating within the camp utilizes solar technology. Weather permitting lunches are served al fresco otherwise all meals are served under a thatched roof in an open sided combined dining, bar & lounge area.
Basecamp Maasai Mara was established in 1998 by The Basecamp Explorer (Formerly Eco Travel Group) which is its’ parent company alongside other subsidiaries in Norway, India, Kenya and France. The subsidiaries in Kenya include Basecamp Eagle view & Basecamp Dorobo. The main focus of Basecamp Explorer is responsible tourism to parts of the world where the basis for the preservation, as well as the possibility to experience the most exciting local culture and nature, exists.
Kenya is an East African Country. Basecamp Maasai Mara is located in Maasai Mara, a world renowned National Reserve. The tented camp is located along the Talek River.
Access to Basecamp Maasai Mara can be achieved by;
1. Road – Travel from Nairobi to Narok Town. Follow Narok -Maasai Mara road through Sekenani Gate. Drive through the reserve to Talek gate, from the gate approximately 10 minutes to the camp.
2. Air – Flights depart several times a day from Wilson Airport to Mara Olkiombo airstrip. You will be picked up by Basecamp’s safari jeeps at the airstrip, and there is an approx. 45 minute drive to the camp. Flights also depart morning hours from Malindi, Mombasa and Ukunda to Mara Olkiombo airstrip.
ECOLOGY & SURROUNDING FEATURES
Masai Mara serves a habitat to a variety of flora and fauna in East Africa. The weather inMasai Mara varies depending on the time of the year. For instance it’s usually rainy from April to June. Originating from the Mau complex the Mara meanders along various escarpments while passing across the Mara before draining its waters in Lake Victoria in Tanzania.
Geographically the Maasai Mara Ecosystem forms part of the great Lake Victoria basin and dominated in the eastern part by the Ngama Hills formed as a result of volcanic activity and comprises granites rocks and quartz. The impressive wall like Oloololo or Siria escarpment forms the western boundary, while Lemek hills and Mount Kileleoni are the unmistakable conspicuous features in the north and provides the home area to the few wild dogs that are slowly recuperating.
FACILITIES & SERVICES
Basecamp Maasai Mara offers great food, comfortable accommodation and transfers between camps. The facilities at guests’ disposal include;
-12 spacious and luxurious tents with ensuite bathrooms
– Hot solar heated shower open to the sky
– 24 beds altogether
– 1 family tent
– Open air bar
– Viewing platform
– Wireless internet available in the reception area
Activities at Basecamp Maasai Mara
To further make your experience memorable, Basecamp Maasai Mara offers the following activities;
- Flexible game viewing drives in 4 wheel drive vehicle
- Guided walking safaris by our professional Maasai guides
- Hosting around the campfire: safari talk of the day
- Night game drives
- Dorobo Club for children
- Bush meals and sundowners
- Cultural visits and lectures
- Basecamp Maasai Mara Brand workshop
- Tree Planting and guided tree walks
- Camp walks
- Hot Air Balloon Safari bookings
- Community visits on request
Basecamp Explorer Kenya
Nairobi Head office
Magadi Tenting Centre
Next to Brookhouse School
Off Magadi Road
Phone: +254 733 333909